I am a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences at the University of Washington. I graduated from the University of Edinburgh’s Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies with my BVM&S (DVM equivalent) in 2011, and received my MS (2017) and PhD (2021) in Epidemiology from the University of Washington.
My research focuses on human health at the human-animal interface, in particular the effect of livestock exposure on infectious disease risk to humans, including the direct effect of zoonotic disease transmission and indirect effects mediated by environmental change. I have a strong interest in epidemiologic methods for inferring cause from observational studies, spatial epidemiology including experience with R-INLA, survey statistics, and mathematical modeling.
- Meisner J, Curtis K, Graham T, Rabinowitz P. Occupational practices and hazards of rural livestock keepers in Uganda: a Cross-Sectional Study. East African Health Research Journal 2017; 2(1).
- Meisner J, Vora M, Fuller M, Phipps A, Rabinowitz P. Maternal Veterinary Occupation and Adverse Birth Outcomes in Washington State, 1992-2014: a Population-Based Retrospective Cohort Study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2018; 75: 359-368
- Meisner J, Curtis, K, Graham T, Apamaku M, Manhart L, Rabinowitz, P. Cattle-associated risk factors for human tuberculosis in rural livestock keeping communities, Uganda. Zoonoses and Public Health 2018; 66(1): 73-82.
- Meisner J, Barnabas R, Rabinowitz P. A mathematical model for evaluating the role of trypanocide treatment of cattle in the epidemiology and control of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense and Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness in Uganda. Parasite Epidemiology and Control 2019; 5: e00106.
- Meisner J, Mooney, S, Rabinowitz P. The curse of dimensionality: animal-related risk factors for pediatric diarrhea in western Kenya, and methods for dealing with a large number of predictors. PLoS ONE 2019; 14(4): e0215982.
- Meisner J, Clifford W, Wohrle R, Kangiser D, Rabinowitz P. Soil and climactic predictors of canine coccidioidomycosis seroprevalence in Washington State: an ecological cross-sectional study. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases 2019; 66(5): 2134-2142.
- Rodriguez PJ, Roberts DA, Meisner J, Sharma M, Owiredu MN, Gomez B, de Mello M, Bobrik A, Vodianyk A, Storey A, Githuka G, Chidarikire T, Barnabas R, Barr-Dichiara M, Jamil MS, Baggaley R, Johnson C, Taylor MM, Drake A. Cost-effectiveness of dual maternal HIV and syphilis testing strategies in high and low HIV prevalence countries. Lancet Global Health 2021; 9(1): E61-E71.
- Meisner J, Roberts DA, Rodriguez P, Sharma M, Owiredu MN, Gomez B, de Mello MB, Bobrik A, Vodianyk A, Storey A, Githuka G, Chidarikire T, Barnabas R, Farid S, Essajee S, Jamil MS, Baggaley R, Johnson C, Drake A. Optimizing HIV retesting during pregnancy and postpartum in four countries: a cost-effectiveness analysis. JIAS 2021; 24(4): e25686.
- Meisner J, Munayco C, Garcia P, Carcamo C, Morin C, Pigott DM, Rabinowitz PM. A novel approach to modeling epidemic vulnerability, applied to Aedes aegypti-vectored diseases in Peru. BMC Infectious Diseases 2021; 21(1):846.
- Dostal T, Meisner J, Munayco C, Garcia P, Carcamo C, Perez Lu JE, Morin C, Frisbie LA, Rabinowitz PM. The effect of weather and climate on dengue outbreak risk in Peru, 2000-2018: a time-series analysis. PLoS NTD [In Review].
- Meisner J, Kato A, Lemerani M, Miaka EM, Taban AI, Wakefield J, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Pigott D, Mayer JD, Rabinowitz PM. Estimating the distribution of livestock in space and time: a time-series contribution to livestock density mapping. Nature Scientific Reports [Submitted].
- Meisner J, Kato A, Lemerani M, Miaka EM, Taban AI, Wakefield J, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Pigott D, Mayer JD, Rabinowitz PM. The effect of livestock density on Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T.b. rhodesiense: a causal-inference based approach. PLOS NTD [Submitted]. Available from: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.13.22268995v1.
- Meisner J, Kato A, Lemerani M, Miaka EM, Taban AI, Wakefield J, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Pigott D, Mayer JD, Rabinowitz PM. Livestock, pathogens, vectors, and their environment: a causal inference-based approach to estimating the pathway-specific effect of livestock on human African trypanosomiasis risk. PLOS NTD [Submitted]. Available from: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.13.22268994v1.
- Meisner J, Kato A, Lemerani M, Miaka EM, Taban AI, Wakefield J, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Pigott D, Mayer JD, Lorton C, Rabinowitz PM. Does a One Health approach to human African trypanosomiasis control hasten elimination? A stochastic compartmental modeling approach. Parasites & Vectors [Submitted]. Available from: https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-1239807/v1
- Meisner J, Baszler TV, Kuehl KE, Ramirez V, Baines A, Frisbie LA, Lofgren ET, DeAvila DM, Wolking RM, Bradway DS, Wilson H, Lipton B, Kawakami V, Rabinowitz PM. Household transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from humans to pets in Washington and Idaho: burden and risk factors. Emerging Infectious Diseases [Submitted].